About Cass City Oil & Gas Company

Commitment…community…service: That's Cass City Oil & Gas Company.

These values built Cass City Oil & Gas almost 100 years ago, and they form the foundation of everything we do today.

Our History

It all started in 1917, with a one-pump corner gas station. Established as a cooperative, the station offered automotive services – tires, oil changes, and repairs – as well as household appliances for sale. The business was so successful, co-op owners saw a 105% return on their investment in the first five years!  

Eventually, CCO&G abandoned appliance sales to focus solely on fuel products. In 1965, CCO&G purchased its first refined-fuel transport tank to manage its own hauling needs and to provide hauling services to other businesses, and in 1961, the co-op business model gave way to incorporation.

Then, in the early 1980s – around the same time CCO&G began offering propane gas – the company purchased Mac and Leo Service, acquiring a bulk-fuel storage facility in Cass City in the deal. The company’s growth continued through the years with the acquisition of several oil jobbers throughout the Thumb.

Cass City Oil and Gas service station

Cass City Oil & Gas Today

In 2006, the company launched its propane transport division, picking up and delivering propane from terminals in Michigan, Ohio, Illinois, and Canada. Today we own and operate four bulk plant facilities throughout Michigan’s Thumb Region, as well eight transport units running seven days a week.

We’ve seen a lot of change through the years as we’ve grown to meet the clean-energy demands of an evolving planet. Yet through all the change, Cass City Oil & Gas has maintained its headquarters at the historic site of that original corner gas station, where the Chippi family has managed the company for 50 years.

Commitment, community, service: Cass City Oil & Gas Company